Sunday, August 23, 2009

Weekend bits

This weekend's sunny and mild temperatures meant lots of outside time. Yesterday the highlight was an engagement party at a beautiful park for D's teacher. Mizz amused himself with a golf club set, the swings, and doing calculus from the park benches. D, on the other hand, occupied himself with meeting and greeting every dog in the park. The engaged couple had brought Boomer, a bassett hound, with them. Boomer was leashed to the table and could not escape from D's "DOGGIE!" and follow up grunts (which I think is his current version of barking). He couldn't get enough petting and seemed to finally really get the concept of gentle. The big score was an Australian Shephard who was extremely friendly/docile and pretty much let D do whatever to her. It was really cute to watch D chase her. The whole episode kinda made me want a dog. Until I remembered the fact that it rains here 600 days a year. And that we don't have a yard. And I never have enough time as it is. So no dog for now, but we will have to make lots of visits to our friends that do have them.

Today we mainly laid low around the neighborhood. I continue to be amazed at how our tiny front yard can be a source of endless amusement to our kiddos. Even Little D's short attention span is captivated. This means I get to prop my legs up and read in the sun, perhaps, one of my greatest pleasures. The only catch is that I have to occasionally fish a rock out of D's mouth or reassure Mizz that the bees are more scared of him than he is of them. Although my credibility on this issue is somewhat mitigated by the fact that I managed to bee sting myself for the second time in two months today. Last month, I stepped on a bee and felt a stinger (it has barbs, all the better to damage your skin!) for the first time in many, many years. Today, I took D down a spiral slide and managed to mangle a bee and myself in the process. Mizz was understandably upset, not mind you, about the noxious venom coursing through my veins, but because we had to leave the park to get some ice. He recovered though when he realized that he could try to take pictures of my boo boo.

2 Comments:

At 7:13 AM, Blogger Grandpa Phil said...

Quick note - French Bulldogs don't need long walks, and don't require too much outside time. Hence, rain is not a problem.

 
At 9:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What fun reading to begin my week! Thank you!
Love from the Whidbey Mom/Tutu

 

Post a Comment

<< Home