Sunday, July 20, 2008

Attention to Detail

Today at the park Mizz was watching other kids play and at one point noted that one of the little girls was a "brown person" and he was a "white person". Because I am a white person, I was relieved that he stated this observation quietly (which is weird because almost nothing he says is quiet). I agreed with him and we continued playing. At dinner we talked about it some more, with Dave and I reminding him about the different people at his school, in regards to hair color, ethnicity, etc. He is clearly starting to pay more attention to lots and lots of details. It was still on his mind at bath time tonight because according to Dave, Mizz told him that, "You're a white guy, Daddy, not brown or red. Or blue either."

This follows this morning's attempt at understanding the external and internal workings of his toy laptop. He asked Dave in his serious, I-am-really-concentrating voice "How does this work?", while he was playing with the latch and then wanted to know how the keys worked as well.

2 Comments:

At 7:19 AM, Blogger Marketing Mommy said...

We had Z's friend Evan over for a playdate last week. He's African-American and Z said virtually the same thing: "Why is Evan's skin brown all over?"

"Because he has brown skin like his parents."

"Oh! And I have light skin like my parents! Why does Evan have skin like his parents?"

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger Grandpa Phil said...

I remember that Mom attended a Blue Man Group concert when she was pregnant. So, that could explain the "or blue" observation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home