Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The Best Movie I've Ever Seen. Period.

We just watched Gandhi this week. I am a little embarrassed that it took me 31 years to see it. I'm just gonna go ahead and blame the educational system. Because really, everyone should see it. Although to be honest I am not sure it would have affected me the same way when I was in high school. Dazed and Confused and Reality Bites was more my worldview at that point. In any case, if you haven't seen it, see it, and if you saw it a long time ago, see it again. And I recommend watching it in 45 min increments. I know the director and other film aficionados might have a heart attack at this advice, but I found watching it in four pieces allowed me to digest it and think about all of its implications then and now.

2 Comments:

At 7:53 PM, Blogger Dave said...

I have to agree. That movie was awesome. As much as I'm into history, I never really knew all that much about Gandhi's role. The movie was a very well told story about a very inspirational "little brown man." I agree about breaking it up too. In our case it was kind of required anyway, since, at over 3 hours, it covers more time than we can typically find sans Mizz.

 
At 9:20 PM, Blogger Grandpa Phil said...

Glad you liked this fine movie. The movie points out some not-so-pleasant aspects of how Britain ruled its empire.

Many festering problems in India, Pakistan and the Middle East trace back to British rule.

You might similarly enjoy the movie Gallipoli.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home