Wednesday, December 24, 2008

There's no time like meal time



"Man, I like hot chocolate!", exclaimed Mizz as he downed his cup in three seconds. He apparently likes it so much that he needed two straws. It never stops to amuse Dave and me that he will unhesitatingly try any sort of candy product or dessert if its name is not too strange. Mizz does not eat pie, but will eat apple cake in a heartbeat. I was a little scared and grossed out by how fast he devoured a sugar cookie yesterday. Usually each bite of "real" food is preceded by an eternity. Just this week in an attempt to expand Mizz's repertoire of vegetables I made butternut squash au gratin (thank you Tilllamook for the recipe) and termed it "Cheesy Goodness!". As in, "Come here Mizz and try some cheesy goodness. We are having cheesy goodness for lunch.". I think the name and the fact I let him share a plate with me, momentarily allowed him to drop all his defenses toward the foods that I am trying to poison him with. He ate it and declared that he liked it as long as I kept all the ongins (caramelized onions) on my side. More significantly, Dave also ate one portion and declared that it didn't make him gag. I think I have found a winner recipe.


And nature didn't spare me with D either. I seem to be blessed with two little boys with eating "issues". After a strong start with some rice cereal and peas, D has refused to open his mouth to a spoon the entire month. Which means all his nutrition is still coming from Mom. And Mama wants a break. Since I had hopes of skipping the purees altogether, I can't say I am missing shoveling baby food in his mouth. But D has shown no interest in cheerios, soft pear, or even his toys when it comes to putting them in his mouth. I think by this point, Mizz had shredded a small library of books to a pulp. So, I am just gonna have to have faith that he is going to develop an interest in food when he is ready and that there will be an end to this breastfeeding gig eventually.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home