Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Um, it's still snowing

As it has been snowing now for a week, I realize that this is no longer as interesting as it used to be even for all the Portlanders who are still freaking out about all this white stuff falling from the sky. In Portland's defense, a foot and a half of snow effectively shuts down the city forcing the mayor to declare of state of emergency. Emergency people aren't able to get to all the places they need to go. Major roads are blocked. The airport has been barely operational and we haven't gotten mail in three days. Some people have been stranded by closed interstates, at the airport, or in homes that have no power. I have to admit, that as a mom, the snowed in phenomenon had a new dimension for me. Where snows days used to me fun and games (drinking games in college), now I couldn't help but worry about how we would get one of the kids to a doctor if they got hurt or sick. I have made lots of jokes about living like a pioneer, but it certainly feels like that to some extent since we have been stuck in the house since Friday. And well, we have the internet and central heat. In any case, fortunately, we are all safe and snug and have everything we need. In fact, I have spent a lot of time thinking about just that and being really grateful this last week for our comfortable home and our friends and family that keep us connected to the world even when we can't leave the house. There has been a lot of talk on the news about those that are not so fortunate, whether it is misfortune due to the recent economic downturn or my former clients many of whom are still homeless and very sick and now and now grappling with navigating around a foot of snow.

As I typed this, Mizz just took it upon himself to drop some playdoh into my coffee. Which really sucks since D money was up all night coughing and now I have no coffee.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home