Saturday, November 25, 2006

Finding Meaning

Thanksgiving Morning. I have to admit I found myself thinking, "what's the point anyway?" In my mind, the day had become nothing more than a meal for me. We weren't able to fly to see family or the friends we have spent many Turkey Days with in the past. Am I really interested in celebrating a Pilgrim holiday? More seriously, I couldn't shake my sadness about the clients that I work with and what the beginning of the holiday season means for them--for many, it is a reminder of their isolation and need. But we had people coming over and I had to get with the program. Perhaps not so surprisingly, once I got started, my mood quickly improved. I continually forget how satisfying it can be to follow a new recipe and create something exciting. Half of the fun of it was that Dave and I tagged team well and took turns cooking and entertaining Mizz. As the day went on (complete with an emergency, very last minute trip to the store), I got more and more excited. My anxiety about getting everything done in time evaporated as it became clearer that we were going to get everything in the oven. We were having friends come over and were going to have a good meal! My cheesecake looked amazing (Thank you Alma for the recipe)! Dinner was an hour and a half later than I had planned but it didn't matter because we had fun talking with our guests and watching Mizz. I love watching other people enjoy Mizz and vice versa. So it turned out to be a nice holiday after all because of the people present, those that I spoke to on the phone, and those in my thoughts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home