Sunday, July 29, 2007

Double booked

Dave, Mizz, and I found ourselves scheduled to be in two places at once this morning. Now in my world, committing to getting anywhere on time has become, shall we say, lax. So with a strict schedule of leaving the house by 9:30, staying at the first engagement for no longer than forty minutes and then busting it out to the next one, I was a little apprehensive when I woke up this morning. But it all turned out well, despite leaving the house five minutes late and the first engagement forty minutes past due.

What? Where were we? The first stop was a incredibly touching and beautiful baby naming for the youngest J Baby. For those of you that don't know, somewhere along the way, Jewish people decided to create a ceremony that marks the birth of a Jewish girl and announces her Jewish name. It was a really personal ceremony and made even more special by the fact that the officiant was one of the mom's friends from sixth grade and it was her first baby naming. I was overwhelmed with the ritual and prayers connecting the baby both to her parents and to the ancient rituals and ancestors that have such significance for so many people. Seeing the baby wrapped in her dad's tallis was really beautiful and also made me continue to consider what tradition means to me and what I want to pass on to Mizz.

And then we went to the park.

To celebrate our playgroup's second birthday. It was great fun, as usual, watching the kids, remembering a year ago, and projecting what next year's gathering of three year old's will look like, especially with new, younger siblings. Nope, not pregnant, but several of the women in my playgroup are. Which is good, because all my wonderful friends, have gone ahead and had their second babies. Cami gets extra points for doing it all in one fell swoop.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home