Saturday, September 06, 2008

Where to start?

In a nutshell, I have been cooking lots of food from scratch, reading way too much about the election, watching D struggle to overcome his arm in his frantic attempts to roll over, and keep Mizz busy in a happy, pro society way.


The cooking storm stems in large part to having been so inspired by the Barbara Kingsolver's book Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life. While I consider myself to be a fairly questioning, well informed consumer about most things, in reading the book, I realized how much I didn't know about the food we eat. For example, I learned where things came from and how they grow and why organic is better (on many levels), what exactly GMO means to me and potentially the world's food supply, and why corn syrup is in everything. I think for the most part, until I started feeding my kids, I was simply happier not knowing and buying organic and local stuff when it seemed right and yes, convenient. In this case ignorance was definitely bliss, because now I realize that there really is a different way to eat that doesn't involve a whole lot of packages but does involve a few more dirty dishes. But dirty dishes aside, it also means making a choice to not consume most of the processed goods that I imagine probably 98% of America eats on a daily basis. And so, before people start rolling their eyes, betting how long this fad will last, or getting defensive, I should note that as with most things in my life, I am not attempting to be super rigid or fanatical about this approach, but I am going to cook more, bake more, and not offer Mizz as many crackers, bars, and other foods that I have relied on for so long. So this week I cooked fish for the first time, used a lemon zester, and put together an Asian inspired stir fry sauce and had three awesome meals that didn't come by way of a refrigerated truck from New Jersey.

OK enough about food.

We also went to the zoo twice and I am happy to report got to see the new baby elephant who was an adorable 291 pound clumsy little beast who spent most of its time hiding in his mother's legs. We also played in the sand box. On average, we see about one animal each trip to the zoo, what with pottying, eating, and the not so simple act of locomoting through the zoo. I suppose from Mizz's perspective, with buttons and things to touch around every corner, who needs the
animals? I have finally given up my expectations about what a proper visit to the zoo should encompass, after hearing Mizz shout one too many times "NOOO...I DON'T WANNA SEE ANY MORE MONKEYS!"

D went to school for the first time yesterday and wooed everyone with his smiles and giggles. He was the champion cat napper and woke up promply after a series of twenty minute naps there. I was terrified that the drive home and evening would be horrible but he didn't make a peep the whole way home and had a great night's sleep.

And since it was our nine year anniversary yesterday (yikes!) D got to spend his first night in his crib all by himself (for awhile Dave had taken up cohabitation with D in the nursery/office).

3 Comments:

At 8:27 AM, Blogger Marketing Mommy said...

Congratulations on your great adventures in cooking!

 
At 8:00 PM, Blogger Christine said...

yeah...especially with kids, organic is absolutely the way to go. And GMOs are pretty much the most terrifying thing on earth.

 
At 9:23 PM, Blogger Margaret said...

I love that book. It totally made me to plant food so I called the community garden but alas - it's a 5 year waiting list for the hawthorne area. I also read In Defense of Food lately and it was great too.

So exciting that you saw the elephant. We haven't braved the crowds yet but I'm dying to see that little saggy trunk.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home