Saturday, January 20, 2007

My favorite new products

You'll notice a new link on the right hand side of the page. I just found the blog in a quest for a picture of my beloved Converse that I bought recently. The shoes are the Product Red and are so groovy with their red detailing. But even more groovy is all that went into the concepting and manufacturing and then giving back that goes into one single purchase. You can get a better idea what I mean if you check out the blog; it's really pretty interesting stuff. In any case, I had been thinking of buying Chucks for a long time and when I saw this product, the decision was easy. And that's the point. We all buy things (some more than others) all the time. But we have choices with each purchase including the materials, the place of purchase, and as with Product Red, whether or not the company gives back to the community (whether locally or globally). Even before that though hopefully all of us consider, whether or not we should try to borrow it rather than buy it or buy it used? My original idea for this posting was to simply list some of the things that have made me happy recently (the Chucks, my Nikon, Tom's of Maine deorderant (no icky antipersperant and remarkably effective and great feeling--it is the best!). I feel good when I buy thoughtful purchases and I know many others that do as well. It's even a neat marketing trick, because people are often willing to pay more for such items (I highly recommend Aveda's $16.00 Be Curly). While I have become more conscious of dollars than I ever have before since becoming a mom, I have become even more conscious of the impact all of us have on today's children and their future. Oh geez, it's so hard to write thoughts like that down without sounding like a cheeseball. I think you get the point though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home