Monday, March 12, 2007

Check your expectations and comparisons at the door

It just occurred to me that Mizz says again, cat, up, down, duck, star, upstairs, tub, tree, mama, dada, no, a, e, o, m, x, one, and six. He can sign milk, more, help, water, diaper change and point to anything else he may need (which he does all the time). In other words, he is seriously communicating and learning. While he is not quoting Shakespeare or even talking to me or his friends much he is clearly able to do so and I suppose will do so on his own time. I guess I just assumed that because Dave and I like to talk so much, our child would too and would do it early. It also is becoming clearer that the ear tubes are definitely facilitating this process and so no regrets about them as of yet. Plus he has a regular, standard cold and doesn't have an infection (knock on wood). Yea!

In a related note, I continue to consider my options and expectation and of course comparisons about job prospects. When it rains it pours. I just talked to a contact from an agency I had interviewed in the past and she is really interested in having me work for them. That is fantastically confidence boosting and is a really great opportunity to further my career interests. The bummer of it all is that it is in Hillsboro and would actually offer less take home pay then the daycare job unless I changed childcare altogether. But it would be at the minimum 11.5 hour days (two of them) and would certainly be more intellectually and emotionally challenging than working at Joyful Noise (which while challenging in itself is a fairly contained and straightforward position). And then there are the two other clinical positions I had been pursuing and of course continue to wonder how they could work in this equation. I am so torn between going the simple route (which would mean letting go of my career expectation ambitions and comparison to my peers) and trying to smush it all in there somehow.

As I type this now, Mizz is fussing in his crib. Go to sleep little man. Enough introspection, I have to go tend to the reluctant napper.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home