Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Somewhat morose musings

I feel compelled to write even though I am not sure what I want to write about. I've had a lot on my mind lately but I'm not sure that my writing skills are up to the task of trying to explain them.

I have been really down about recent events in the news including my missing boss, the school shooting in DeKalb, and the attacks on two psychiatrists in NY. Throw in two fairly depressing movies (The Weatherman and Sherrybaby) and you get one wigged out lapsed social worker. One on hand, all the talk about mental health makes me miss working terribly and induces feelings of guilt about not doing more and then, on the other hand, there are still all the reasons that I quit working in the first place.

Fortunately, Mizz doesn't give me much of a chance to dwell on things. Between running errands and spending lots of time outside the days are flying by. The early morning and evening hours are the killers. Mizz's main source of indoor entertainment seems to be the "make mama mad" game, which mark my words is not as fun as you might think. He is seriously testing me constantly and in some cases retesting me about things I though we had already covered and moved on from. Deep breaths are essential and both Mizz and I do them at least twice a day. To make myself crazier, I am reading Alfie Kohn's book "Unconditional Parenting" which pretty much challenges all conventional wisdom about behavior modification and discipline. I will admit that I haven't read very much yet, but already have some serious challenges to his philosophy. Still, I suppose it may be an interesting exercise in getting me to examine some of my assumptions and beliefs.

3 Comments:

At 7:24 PM, Blogger Marketing Mommy said...

I feel for you, Franny. Toddlers are exhausting. Do yourself a favor (at least while you're pregnant and tired): pop in a Wiggles DVD and give yourself a 45 minute break from the Mizz.

 
At 7:31 PM, Blogger Franny said...

Oh, believe me I would if I could. Unfortunately, the Mizz doesn't seem to believe in TV. Or at least I haven't found the right show yet. He really is a hands on dude that doesn't like to simply sit and watch. His latest disassembling feats include the replacement nightlight and pretty much the entire living room. For some reason today was the day that he decided to take the tv antenna. I want to jail him for six months but instead will keep taking him to the OMSI so he can disassemble things that aren't necessary household objects.

 
At 8:19 PM, Blogger Grandpa Phil said...

As a caring and thoughtful person, you will have many opportunities to use your professional expertise to add to your accomplishments in helping others.

Keep the faith with Mizz; the "testing period" will only last another 15 years or so. However, I offer the prediction that the patient and loving care you and Dave provide Mizz will be richly rewarded.

Although, it's a lot easier to have this perspective several decades removed from day-to-day toddler care responsibilities.

I'm excited that you are reading Alfie Kohn. I've not read his parenting book, but have read his books on the benefits of cooperation v. competition (No Contest) and against incentives in the workplace and elsewhere (Punished By Rewards).

I've heard him at numerous conferences. I remember him remarking after his first child was born that he was wondering how he'd operationalize his social psychology principles to his own child; in recognition that reality can be more challenging than theory.

I'm eager to get your feedback after you've read his book.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home