Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Snowed in!

Mizz gets to experience a real Northeast storm complete with below freezing temps, snow, and ice and that blissful feeling of being trapped inside a house all day. Actually, Mizz is having a great time--we are staying with my Grandma and Aunt and Uncle's. They have a huge house with lots of things to check out. We have been eating well and staying up late. Dave and I are weary from all the corralling. Luckily everyone is in love with him and so we have many extra hands to help out. Mizz has amazed everyone with his ability to identify every lightbulb and fan in the house and how it turns on. In anticipation of the storm, Dave, Mizz, and I set out relatively early this morning to take Mizz to a play area so he could run around unfettered. On the way there he fell asleep (what's new?) and so we took a trip down my memory lane. We toured my old neighborhood which of course blew me away with its size. I remember the trek to the bus stop as much longer... While I could not help feeling some sadness in remembering my mom, I was struck by how many happy memories I have of my childhood and the really strong feeling of nostalgia for a place that at one point was way too surburban for my taste. It seems there are many possible explanations for this change of heart. As I have gotten older, my ideas about time and distance have changed. Also, the area has been built up considerably since I lived there. And finally, most dramatically, my priorities have shifted in the classic way since having a child. I am no longer as interested in being able to slog my way home from a local bar and more interested in what the schools are like and whether or not we can fit all of our crap into a space that will feel comfortable to our family unit. Aside from horrendous traffic and very busy people, suburban MD is a really good place to raise a family. Especially since I have such great family there. So of course, I can't help but wonder what our life would be like here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home