Thursday, February 22, 2007

Bragging Time

Enough with confessions, it's bragging time. One of the best experiences I have had recently, is returning to work after a week and a half vacation (with only three days left to work) and having my boss ask if I had changed my mind. I have had so many people express their sadness about my leaving and ask me to reconsider... It's nice to know I'll be missed.

And I am going to miss them. I have spent this week and a good chunk of the week before being sad about leaving. I realize that I quit, but in many ways I feel like I had no choice because the conditions at my workplace had become so difficult. I am sad about leaving my coworkers (the few that are left), I am sad about saying goodbye to many of my clients, and I am sad because I am leaving community mental health at a time when it desperately needs skilled and caring clinicians. Still, social workers are notoriously bad at taking care of themselves and I do not want to go down that road. So. I will use this next month as a time to reflect about what I want in a job and research how to get it. The last year has been very hard, but I have developed a great deal of clarity about beliefs about the therapeutic process and finally (3 years post school) feel solid in my theory and skills as a therapist. So whoever said adversity is good (or whatever it was) was right.

I realize this doen't seem to have much to do with Mizz. But it does really, because I can't unconnect my experiences as a mother with whom I am professionally and more concretely what I want from a job (ie part time hours, reasonable expectations surrounding my personal safety, convenient location, lunch money, etc.). If I can figure all this out, I just might write a book about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home